Programme (1) : Courts, Tribunal and Various Statutory Functions
The aim of this programme is to maintain an independent and effective judicial system which upholds the rule of law, safeguards the rights and freedoms of the individual and commands confidence within and outside Hong Kong.
Under this programme, different levels of courts and tribunals hear and adjudicate criminal cases and civil disputes. The operational objectives of these courts and tribunals are to:
- ensure just and expeditious disposal of cases;
- enhance professional standards;
- ensure the Judiciary and the courts keep abreast with
changing times; and
- develop a bilingual court system in Hong Kong.
Programme (2) : Support Services for Courts'
The aim of this programme is to provide efficient and effective
services to support the operation of courts.
Under this programme, administrative services are provided
to support the hearing of cases in courts and tribunals at
different levels, and to carry out court orders. The work
- providing effective recording services for court proceedings
and producing transcripts for these proceedings;
- ensuring that both the Chinese and English languages can
be used in the court system;
- providing efficient bailiff services for enforcement of
- keeping comprehensive legal reference books and research
materials for the use of judges, judicial officers and the
legal profession; and
- adopting information technology and other modern management
tools to enhance the efficiency of court support services.