B. Explanatory Notes
1. Apply for Registrar’s Certificate by letter (sample attached) and send it to Master’s Clerks Office (Apostille Service Office), Room 115, LG1/F., High Court, 38
Queensway, Hong Kong or by fax (2524 2034).
2. Pay $125 by cash or crossed cheque payable to “The
Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region” at the High Court Accounts
Office (LG2/F., High Court).
3. The Certificate will be ready for collection at
the Master’s Clerks Office (Apostille
Service Office) after 7 working days upon receipt
of your application. At the time of
collecting the Certificate, please produce the receipt
of $125. You may collect the
Certificate in person or authorize someone with letter
of authorization, bearing the ID
Card No of the authorized person to collect it on
4. Prepare the motion and all necessary documents
for application for appointment as
notary public. (Rule 12B(2), Cap. 159B)
5. Pay the application fee of $1,135 at the High Court
Accounts Office on LG2/F., High
6. Get the case number for the application for appointment
as a notary public at the High
Court Registry on LG1/F., High Court.
7. Take the original motion together with the Registrar’s
Certificate and all the necessary
documents to the office of the Assistant Listing Officer
at Room G33 of the Clerk of
Court’s Office, High Court for listing the case to
the Designated Judge.
8. File the original motion with all necessary documents
at the High Court Registry.
9. Serve the motion and its accompanying documents
on the Secretary for Justice and the
Society of Notaries.
10. File affirmation of service within 7 days of service
11. Your application will be considered by the Designated
12. Having satisfied all the requirements, the Court
may appoint you as a notary public.
13. Letter notifying you of the appointment as a notary
public will be issued accompanying
by two copies of blank signature cards.
14. Pay $360 registration fee at the High Court Accounts
Office with the letter mentioned in
Para. 13 being produced.
15. Collect the Certificate of Appointment after 2
weeks from payment of the fee at the
Master’s Clerks Office (Apostille Service Office).
You may collect the Certificate in
person or authorize someone with letter of authorization,
bearing the ID Card No of the
authorized person to collect it on your behalf.
16. At the time of collecting the Certificate, produce
the receipt of $360 registration fee, the letter mentioned
in Para.13 and two duly completed signature cards
bearing the signature of a witness who must be a notary
in Hong Kong.
17. Your name will be entered in the register of notaries public by the Registrar.
18. The Registrar will by written notice inform the Hong Kong Society of Notaries of